History of Projects: Previous | Next

Oakley Place

About Oakley Place from the Indiana State University Foundation

Oakley Place at Third and Chestnut Streets (U.S. Highways 40, 41 and 150 near downtown Terre Haute) marks the current southwestern boundary of Indiana State University and chronicles the history of the institution from its founding in 1865 as Indiana State Normal School to its evolution as a comprehensive university 100 years later.

The arched monument not only signals to students and visitors that they have arrived at the ISU campus, it has played an important role in Fall Welcome each year since its construction in 1996. Following completion of a student convocation at Hulman Center on the Sunday prior to the start of fall semester classes, incoming freshmen “March through the Arch” to symbolize their new status as ISU students.